Monday, July 30, 2007

Sugar Sucks

I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since that fateful day in the ER when the doctors told me Ethan had diabetes. It was a devastating, life changing moment that I will never forget. He's had it now for more than half of his life and to tell you the truth I don't really remember what life was like pre-diabetes. It's a day to day struggle consisting of setting boundaries, tons of math, constant worry, and at times even pride. The kid is a champ. He rarely complains. He never asks why he has diabetes, although I'm not sure he himself fully understands what it is. I'm sure it will come with age and awareness and at that point I pray he is accepting. His treatment has come full circle and he is now able to live shot-free by wearing an insulin pump. This past weekend he attended pump therapy classes where he met other kids in his same situation. The disease - with a little work, is so manageable, it makes me thankful because it could always be worse. Today, Ethan and I drove to the local Pharmacy and he very happily told the store clerk (while passing her his very full sharps container) that he doesn't get shots anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Horray for Ethan no more shots. But I have to agree Ethan had the best attitude with all the shots and tests he was taking. One of the best nephews ever!!!