Sunday, July 8, 2007

Eight Great Days!

Day One: Saturday, June 30th
Today started out early on a 6:30am flight to SLC. Flight was good though, no crying babies! We got a rental car, picked up Anne, and headed to the festivities in Lehi where we hung out with my Eddington relatives. Natalie and her cute kids were there. It was so hot and dry in Utah that our bodies were in shock. Immediately, our eyes dried out and our lips started to crack. I don't think the temperature during the day was ever below 95 degrees. We were supposed to stay for the Rodeo, but we were so tired from the flight we headed straight for Park City to go to bed.




Day Two: Sunday, July 1st

Today Martha and Jeff come to town so we drove down to SLC to visit Grandma and Grandpa Christensen. We attended their F&T meeting with them and can I just say, they too have forgotten how to bear testimony (except for my gpa of course). This was a F&T for the books. It rivals Milwaukee for sure. There were not one, but two recovering drug addicts that decided to stand and explain how they had gone down the wrong paths in life and have come to understand that being good in life is way better than being a druggie. It was like they were at an AA meeting and were asked to introduce themselves. "Hey, my name is Brian, I'm a recovering drug addict, enter spiritual part here..., and that's pretty much it...I just wanted you all to know where I'm at." NO, I would like to bear my testimony, NO, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen...SO WEIRD. Then there was this lady who stood for 25 minutes and graphically described how her daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons were in a tragic car accident not long ago. It was a very sad story, but not one for F&T meeting. She talked about how her son-in-law was on the ground with blood pouring out of his head. And how her grandson was laying in a pile of glass motionless. It went on for 25 minutes. I could tell you all their doctors names and the times of their previous appointments, but I will spare you. Then came the mentally handicapped kids. This is not something to joke about, so I won't, but I'm pretty sure the only word I understood from both testimonies was Amen. So, we headed back to Park City, our spirits uplifted, ready to play some cards. Face cards on Sunday - aren't we evil!





Day Three: Monday, July 2nd

This morning we ventured out for a jog. Not recommended in 100 heat and the crazy altitude. Oh well, at least I kept up. After, we went shopping at the Park City outlets and then came back to go swimming. I don't think I have ever used so much sunscreen and I still got a sunburn. After a great Mexican meal we headed over to the Alpine Slide at the Park City Mountain Resort. Ethan was so scared. He thought we were going to send him down the hill all by himself. Once he figured out he was going to ride with Eric he calmed down and actually wanted to go again.






Day Four: Tuesday, July 3rd

Molly and KC got in late, late last night and unfortunately, had to share a condo with screaming Cohen. That only lasted one night before they moved to a different condo. (Cohen cut both of his upper teeth this trip which was rough on all of us). Today was Mom's birthday!! When she told Ethan that she turned 57 today he said, "what does that mean?" My dad took us to the driving range and Ethan HAD to hit a few balls. I think he wasted a whole basket. We could have walked to the edge of the grass and picked them all up but it isn't allowed. Then we went to the park for a little kickball. I didn't sit very much on this vacation if you can't tell. It was no-stop activity! Anne went to pick up Mike and the airport and was back in time for some Chinese food and an ice cream cake from Coldstone. Happy Birthday MOM! Cards were played, again... while we waited for the Sayers to show up. It was midnight by the time they drove in from Boise.








Day Five: Wednesday, July 4th

Every year Park City has a big parade down Main street for the 4th of July. Some of us went with the kids over and watched all the crazies. Plenty of drunk people at 11am that's for sure. When the motorcycle cop pulled up Ethan was a little scared. You can blame me for that though. Whenever Ethan doesn't do what I ask I pretend to call the cops and he whips right into shape. It took a little coaxing to get him on that motorcycle. He probably thought he was going to drive off with him. Then we came back and got in the pool for some pool volleyball. Dean came up from Provo for the festivities and so did a bunch of my extended family from SLC. Funny enough, Paige, was in town for the holiday and her grandma actually owns a condo in the same complex so we hung out at the pool every once and a while. It was good to catch up with her and her sisters. I don't think I have seen Paige since 2000. Molly and KC were in charge of the family olympics. Eric, of course, had to start a water balloon fight which led to an egg fight which led to my dad being covered in yolk. As night got near we all watched the fireworks from the deck our condo. It was a great day.










Day Six: Thursday, July 5th
Emily and Jaren kindly brought their boat so that we could spend a day at Jordanelle Reservoir. It was a great water-skiing day. The water was calm and there was hardly anybody around us. Jaren bought a surfboard that you ride behind the boat. It wasn't as easy for me as I thought it would be. Of course, Eric got up on it and the wakeboard. Check out the video section for clips from the boat and others. After a day at the lake we were all pretty wasted. The girls took Mom to get a mani & pedi for her birthday and then some of us went golfing. My Dad and I took on a group of golfers that snuck on the course and got cussed out. Fun times.









Day Seven: Friday, July 6th

This morning mom had some pinewood cars for the boys to paint and race. Kent and Lindsey flew in last night for Ryan's wedding today and didn't have anything planned so they came up to do the Alpine slide and go to the outlets. I didn't know this about Kent, but he does not like heights. He still had a good time I think. Ryan's wedding was very nice. It was different than I had imagined it, a really short ceremony, but nice. I think Ryan thought it was Last Comic Standing because he was making fun of pretty much everyone in the room when he should have been thanking them for coming.








Day Eight: Saturday, July 7th
This morning Eric played dentist and pulled Sam's front tooth. It was so loose and ready to be replaced with his permanent tooth. We then had to pack up to head home. Before we left we went over to the Winter Sports Park to watch the aerial jumpers and to ride the zipline. One of the jumpers got injured so they had to cancel the show. The zipline wasn't quite as fast as I hoped it would be but it was still freaky because of how high up you are. Too bad I already had my camera packed because it was way up there. So we headed off to our flight, which was delayed, and made it home to Milwaukee at 1:30am. Wow, what a trip. Thanks again Mom & Dad!

5 comments:

Paige said...

Jos..I can't tell you how bummed I am to be home again. I love Park City. Geez you guys packed a lot in. I had no idea you were getting so much done while we were busy being shopping, eating and being lazy. It was so so good to see you.

Natalie said...

looks like you had a great time! it was fun seeing you...we don't get to enough! i love the pic of lincoln!!

Tia said...

Holy cow! You guys were crazy busy. I'm bummed because I'm going to barely miss you in Cali. I leave the 12th. Darn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the awesome dialogue of the trip....now I really don't have to worry about doing my family history! It was a great trip and I must add that Josie thinks she's the best golfer in the family, and Eric wouldn't let her live it down, and she just may be....even though she has boobs which are apparently a golf hindrance??

anne said...

It was such a great week. It was fun to meet Paige! Jos, thanks for the boat picture of me.... your post wouldn't be the same without it. Do I have the cutest niece and nephews or what?!?