Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Disconnected

I imagine that we've all seen these stupid sayings floating around in some form or another. I remember seeing this example when I was in Cabo for my senior trip. I thought it was pretty idiotic because what is beer anyway, like 95% water? Unfortunately, I still see these shirts almost weekly because of where I live. Get rid of them already.
Anyway, in the past few weeks I have felt kind of disconnected and I am blaming this blog. The original purpose of this blog was to alleviate Eric's responsibility of updating our website. It was something that hung over his head and seemed to be refreshed only every couple months. So... this seemed like the right solution. Although, now the burden fell on me. Yet one more thing to have to worry about. And let me tell you I worried. I worried, like I'm sure all bloggers worry, that it wouldn't be clever enough, boring, too personal, and that shady people would be checking it without my knowledge. What I didn't worry about was that this blog would ultimately eliminate the need to actually pick up a phone and talk to people. I found myself the other day having this conversation with Eric:

Eric: So what did you guys do today?
Me: I guess you haven't checked my blog yet.
Eric: Nope, not yet, I just got home.
Me: Well, it's all on there....

Like, just check the blog already, I don't have time to repeat myself. Thus, the feeling of disconnection. The makers of these t-shirts should start a line for all the bloggers out there. Here's a few to get them started.

"Save precious breath, blog."
"Save cell phone minutes, blog."

Seriously, this isn't good. I almost never get on Ichat anymore or call people to have an actual conversation because my life is pretty much all spelled out online. And what's sad is that blogging, on average, actually takes longer than making a phone call would. Help! Am I the only one out there experiencing this?

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I agree to an extent, although blogging has let me reconnect & stay in touch with people that (because they are so far away) I probably wouldn't be able to call...including you!

Anonymous said...

No, I don't have that problem since I don't blogg. I only read others. However I do think that reading you blogg counts instead of talking to you. R Colbert

Annie said...

It was weird when I was home in Irvine over the summer, I ran into people I haven't seen in YEARS but somehow, they read my blog and when they first saw me, they were just like "Oh. Hey," because they know exactly what I have been doing on almost a daily basis for the past year, so it wasn't that big of a deal finally seeing me again in the flesh. It was kind of a let down but maybe they still would have been just as unenthusiastic without reading the blog. Whatever. Hmph.

josieposie said...

Pros and cons for sure... I do appreciate getting back in touch with people I haven't heard from in a while.

amy said...

I feel the same way as you about just telling people to go read my blog because I don't want to reiterate everything I just posted. Honestly, Jim knows more about what's going on when he reads the blog. By the end of the day, I can barely remember everything that happened. As for keeping in touch...people know what I'm doing, but most of the people who read my blog, don't blog themselves. But, I don't like talking on the phone, so I prefer the blog and email route of keeping in touch.

JBsDD said...

Josie,
Check this out. Yes, Green Bay is ranked higher than the Chargers, but we're only 2 behind Green Bay. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings?MSNHPHCP>1=10539

Anonymous said...

Josie, now you know that we all depend on your blog just to get through the day! Shake it loose, and stay with it! Most people are a pain to deal with anyway,, , did I say that? Seriously, you bring sunshine to my otherwise cloudy day!!!