Thursday, August 14, 2008

Clock watching

It's 4:30. That time of day when the kids have exhausted every possible activity and are now picking/fighting/annoying each other to the point that I want to lock them in a closet for the rest of the night. Back when Eric was in school this was just about the time he would be calling me to tell me he was on his way home. I looked forward to that phone call ALL. DAY. LONG. 4:30 has now been bumped to 7:30+. 7:30!!! Translation: 3 extra, single mom hours of the boys picking/fighting/annoying each other to the point that my jaw hurts from clenching so hard. Granted, my reward now when Eric comes home is cash, but it's still a long day.

Ethan starts school on September 2nd. Today we went to his school to register for his class. I think there are four Kindergarten classes. That's 100 five year olds. I guess one benefit of living in OC - kids. Hopefully, they are not all spoiled rotten. I am just waiting for the day when E comes home and asks me if he can have an ipod or cell phone. I see kids with them his age and it blows my mind.

4 comments:

renae said...

we just bought owen a new backpack for 1st grade, and he shows me the 2 pockets on either side and says "this one can hold my cell phone, and this one can hold my ipod." you're not too far off the mark... i laughed, reminded him that he's 6, and told him to keep dreaming.

anne said...

I haven't lived in Southern California for awhile now, so your report on some of the women and kids is disappointing me. Is everyone really as fake as the lake in Woodbridge and as spoiled as Paris Hilton? I HOPE not because I want to live there again. This leads me to wonder... were we just oblivious to how insanely nice South Coast Plaza was and how expensive all the cars on the freeway were, OR did we just live outside it all somehow? I'm pretty sure the OC has been pimpin' out ever since I graduated high school, but there's a slight chance I just didn't know how nuts it really was. What do you think? There's one thing I'm certain of, and that's that there was an Orange grove where Oak Grove now stands. That stuff sucks.

Diane said...

Ladies, be forewarned, , , SHOES! They are large and in charge. And I know what I am talking about too!

Sarahmanarah said...

I totally hear you on the extra 3 hours. I am always waiting for that moment that Dad walks through the door, but there are times in life we have to sacrifice. I promise it will lead to something better in the future. The weird thing about me always waiting for Cameron is that when he's home everything falls apart. What gives?