Saturday, May 31, 2008

Great Show


For Eric's graduation I got him (us) tickets to see the Flight of the Conchords in LA. It was last night at the Orpheum Theater downtown. For all those who watch Fox's So You Think You Can Dance - that's the venue.


The show was great. It started at 9pm with a singer from New Zealand named Bic Runga. Now, I have heard her music, but in no way did I ever imagine she was 1. from NZ or 2. Asian. Search Itunes for the song Sway - I'm sure you've heard her.


Then following Bic, was Aziz Ansari's comedy routine. He was in one of the Conchord episodes, you may remember him as the "racist fruit vendor" - he also has a show on MTV. He was pretty funny as well.


Our tickets were the fifth row, right of the stage center so the tickets were pretty sweet and I was feeling good about my ebay purchase until three people showed up and sat in front of us. At first I thought the lady was blind because she was holding onto her husband like she couldn't see and was bumping into the seats and trying to feel for her chair. But as the show went on I realized she was full on sloshed and had no control of herself. These people were totally obnoxious the entire concert. They kept getting up and leaving during the show and flailing their arms above their head. At one point the guy next to her (that wasn't a part of their group) started yelling at her telling her to stop touching him and to settle down. It was a mess. Her defense was that she is a professor at USC so we should just shut up and let her be. Nice. Luckily, this nonsense only lasted the last 10 minutes of the show. What pissed me off the most was that the video that I tried to take of the show was crappy because their heads kept moving around in front of my shot. I will have to edit it and maybe come up with some good clips. I did manage the, semi-decent, stills on this post...it was the best I could do.

The Conchords were hilarious. I am so glad we went. They played for over two hours which went by really fast. We didn't get out of there until midnight. What was weird was the eclectic mix of people that were at their show. I would have expected to see people my age or older at this show - you know, people who watch HBO - and can appreciate their music. But, I saw tons of kids that were under 18. Some with parents, but young kids. It was odd. Then there were groups of really grungy 30 year old men with greasy hair that made me think - what do these people do for jobs that can buy them sweet tickets to FOTC and HBO? Of course, there were hundreds of people in their skinny jeans, vans, and hoodies with their bangs slicked across their foreheads (buggy) but that was expected.

Their set list was good, they didn't play Ladies of the World which I was sad about, but they played a new song called Girlfriend from the Past, which I am assuming they will incorporate into their show. It was the best one of the night.




3 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so glad you got to go see my imaginary boyfriends. I hope you blew them a kiss from me.

leigh said...

I am SOOOOO jealous! Glad you guys had fun.

Martha said...

I am so jealous of you Josie and Eric. However, I felt like I was there. We had a lip sync competition for my singles ward activity this weekend and I made my friend lip sync to their song "girlfriend." It looks like Jermaine gained some weight.