Wednesday, May 9, 2007

JAZZHOLES

Because my friend Paige has a post pretty much everyday about the Utah Jazz and how much she loves them, I figured I would take this opportunity to bag on them. There has to be some equality in this matter and I feel they are getting way too much praise from Paige. I think my attitude toward the Jazz stemmed from the obnoxious infatuation that many Chi Omegas (they will remain nameless- hint:rhymes with Muckworth) had with Bryon (yep, it's spell B R Y O N) Russell. It was beyond annoying. Then came the Karl Malone Honda dealership, the Karl Malone Chevy dealership, the Stockton Jeep dealership, the Stockton-Malone Ford dealership, and the Malone-Stockton Pontiac dealership. The Jazz players were treated as Gods in a town of members instructed to "worship no other God". And for what? It's not like they had any Championships to speak of. They came close though, but I guess even the faith and prayers of their loyal fans couldn't get them that ring. Shucks. Now fast forward to today...those bandwagon fans are coming back. Case in point, my parents. Now my parents haven't lived in Utah since college but yet they cheer for the Jazz. I don't get it. My dad has two perfectly fine Southern California teams to cheer for and yet he cheers for the Jazz. He could even cheer for the two Northern California teams, but no. I think he does it to bug Eric since he is such a die hard Laker fan, and I guess that is his prerogative...but Eric will always remind him that in the end, BOTH Bryon Russell and Karl Malone left the Jazz for the LA Lakers.

3 comments:

anne said...

Mo-ted! Where did mom and dad's link to the Jazz begin? I don't really get it. I guess they did live in Baton Rouge. I know they like cheering for the underdogs, but it's got to get old when the underdogs never seem to make it on top. But I can't say too much, I used to work there. Anyway... go warriors.

Paige said...

Wow..Right through the heart Jos..I secretly am still in love with Bryon Russell, although he would be disappointed to know I lost my B.R. Jersey. I always hoped I would run into him at Green Street, although i've only been once ever, and he would fall in love with me. Didn't happen, and he became a laker...I can't help it Jos, I really think we deserve a championship just once! I love hearing about those crazy chi o's.

Tia said...

Josie...I totally forgot how obsessed DD was with Bryon Russell!! That's totally funny. I can't believe you are totally bagging on the Jazz. C'mon!